Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Pearl Habor Day

Today is the 7th of December, also known to baby boomers as Pearl Harbor day. I was born after the war ended and as with many boomers (as the term implies) my dad served in World War II. He was not at Pearl Harbor nor served overseas. He served as part of the support system in the states. He served proudly and the best of his ability knowing the results would effect the fighting soldiers.

I was and am still proud of him though he passed away many years ago. I have had the privilege of going to Pearl Harbor and visiting the Harbor and Arizona memorial. I can tell you there is never a dry eye when visitors finish the tour.

It troubles me when young people hear a term such as Pearl Harbor day they ask 'what's that?' however they can tell you who won the latest American Idol.

It brings to mind the saying of those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. I hope not. Anyway have a thought and quick prayer for those who are still serving to keep our way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment