Monday, April 22, 2013

Turkish Needlework

Last week I gave a lecture to a local quilt guild. I hadn’t given this particular talk in several years so I was glad I still had my notes, along with all my props- needlework, scarves, and rugs. The lecture was on the needlework of Turkey. Some 20 years ago my husband had an assignment there and the entire family went with him. It was the most eventful and character building assignment we ever had during his military career. We arrived 10 days before the invasion of Kuwait and as a result we had to be vigilant of our surroundings. The events brought people of every culture together- American, British, Italians, and Turkish in a bond created by hardship. Due to this bond we all share our cultures a little more deeply than we might have otherwise have done. The needlework of the Turkish culture is ancient and beautiful. I am fortunate to have learned and collected bits and samples of them. They are samples treasure for my memories. This lecture allowed me to reconnect with those memories, good and difficut. The focus of my lecture is on Oya. Oya is the crochet trim on the edges of scarves. It conveys a woman’s thoughts or emotions thru the language of the oya. Each design of trim – be it flowers, beads, or grass sends a message. Chili pepper oya might say my marriage was unhappy from the start.

No comments:

Post a Comment