Monday, September 30, 2013

Fun or Work

My husband and I just returned from Orlando Florida. Yes, we did the Disney World and Universal  Studios thing. It was still very warm/hot there compared to the 70's at home. I thought we were crazy to go then but we had an opportunity arise and decided to go for it.

We enjoyed the theme parks and saw the newest attractions. At the Disney Star Wars attraction I had a picture taken of me with a light saber. I think a caption of it being the largest quilting needle sounds good don't you? Think of how many stitches one could load on that needle.

At Universal Studios I really liked the Despicable Me - Minion Mayhem section. The ride was great fun. All rides , of course, exit into the gift shops. At the exit of the ride we were greeted by 2 Minions who entertain us with disco music and were available for picture opportunities.  I was sorely tempted to 'capture' the minions and put them to work in my sewing room - like the elves in the 'Cobbler's Workshop' story. Perhaps then I would get more projects completed.  In the end I settled for pictures and a stuffed minion doll.  Back to work.

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Joys of Homeownership


I have a long arm quilting machine in my basement. It is located in a narrow area but it is finished with lights and storage. I have a table against the opposite wall.  Early last week I took a quilt top down to load it on the long arm. I began to set up and pulled out a plastic bin from under the table and my heart sank as I saw the water seeping out from the wall.


The table is placed in front of the access panel to the air conditioner/heat unit. So began the joys of homeownership. By the time my husband came home from work I had turned off the unit, moved the storage bins from under the table, cleared the table of my computer and printer, and began the mopping up the water.


A common problem is a clogged condensation tube/pipe. We cleaned it and put it back together again but it still leaked. We realized we would not have air conditioning that night. The next day I phoned the repair service and made arrangements for someone to come out, 2 days later.  In the end it cost us the price of the house call to find out that one must replace some water in the tube/pipe to create a suction to drain. We had stopped one step short of success and I lost 4 days before returning to my quilting machine.